EUROPE | Circumnavigation of the Black Sea
- Nights - From
September 10, 2012 – September 24, 2012
September 22, 2012 – October 6, 2012
September 4, 2013 – September 18, 2013
Prices from $10,780 USD per person, double occupancy.
This Black Sea expedition features all of the countries rimming this infamous sea—Turkey, Georgia, Russia, Ukraine, Romania, and Bulgaria. In the company of our expert leaders, explore lands with centuries upon centuries of history, rich architecture, contemporary cultures, and stunning landscapes. As we venture forth from Istanbul for our Black Sea tour, we discover four UNESCO World Heritage Sites, including Romania’s winding Danube Delta and several archaeological masterpieces. Enjoy a local Georgian dining tradition, visit busy bazaars, and sample regional wines. In the land where Jason and his Argonauts searched for the Golden Fleece, you’ll find much treasure of your own.
Circumnavigation of the Black Sea Adventure Travel Highlights:
- Archaeological sites, including the Greek site of Chersonesus in Ukraine, a cliffside monastery in Turkey, and the fabled site of Histria in Romania.
- Turkey tour, including Istanbul’s historic Sultanahmet District, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, as well as the 17th-century Blue Mosque.
- Sochi, Russia, a mineral-spring resort community with a subtropical climate and site of the 2014 Olympic Winter Games.
- The largest Roman ruins in Bulgaria, the 2nd-century Roman thermae, or public baths.
- Accommodations aboard the nimble, 110-passenger Clipper Odyssey, enabling us to visit remote ports and hidden gems during our Black Sea tour.
What to Expect:
Black Sea adventure travel, including your Turkey tour, requires a relatively moderate level of exertion. You should be able to walk distances of one to two miles, unaided, sometimes over uneven surfaces and climb steps that may not have handrails. More active hikes will also be available. Average daily temperatures during our Black Sea tour will be quite comfortable, ranging from mid 50°sF to the high 70°sF. Participants will most enjoy the remarkable opportunities of this Black Sea expedition if they are in good health and travel with a spirit of adventure.